Wednesday 27 April 2016

Pet Concerns; Ana R, Helena Chan and Rina Wadhwani

ANA R

My Husband has always wanted a dog he can take for walks and runs with him. Brad is a big fitness type of guy (So not like me!) We went to Hong Kong Dog Rescue adoption day that they hold at Whiskers and Paws every Sunday. I think we went about four or five Sundays till we meet Lily. Let me tell you I don't believe in love at first sight, but I witnessed it; my Husband and Lily locked eyes and that was it. To be honest Lily is scared of men, so I’m not sure why but the only man she loves is Brad. They have a very special bond that even a wife (moi!) can be a little jealous at times. Lily has changed our family and made us well rounded. Also Lily (she’s one-and-a-half) gets along very well with my two Mini Schnauzers; Gucci (15) and Angel (8). Gucci seems to be acting like a teenager and got her youth back. Angel has a buddy that she loves to play with all day.

Now that we have a new born baby in the house, its amazing how well the dogs are around Maya. Brad and I were worried at first that the dogs would not be able to manage with a new born. We were very surprised that all three managed to be very relaxed and easy-going with the baby. I was worried most about the dogs barking. Maya seems to sleep though it.

Hong Kong Dog Rescue
http://www.hongkongdogrescue.com/home/

HELENA CHAN

I have two guinea pigs (Mittens and Skittles) and two rabbits (Chaos Champion Princess VonMarshmellowsocks!), they are all rescue animals from the Hong Kong SPCA. I also have a family dog called Oscar that was adopted from Hong Kong Dog Rescue. But he lives with my family at the moment.

I only believe in adopting animals from animal shelters as Pet shops breed their pets in a very cruel way. I want to ban the bad breeder.

My rescue animals have changed my life in so many ways. They all have such amazing personalities, they make me laugh everyday. It's an amazing feeling knowing that I have changed their lives for the better, they have made me a better person. I love them unconditionally and it was the best decision in my life adopting them.

I volunteer at a charity called Sai Kung Stray Friends. We have about 100 unwanted dogs and five staff looking after them everyday. We are very short  handed and welcome volunteers!

Sai Kung Stray Friends
Www.saikungstrayfriends.net 

SPCA
http://www.spca.org.hk/

RINA WADHWANI

Anya has brought much joy to our family especially, as our children are young adults now and don’t live with us. Most of the time we experience an empty nest syndrome as my son is married and moved out. My daughter is away at college in London. It's nice to receive a huge welcome when we walk in the door and she’s always up for a cuddle! She is like a little child in the house and always up to something. Once when I returned home from a night out, she had chewed up my brand new Valentino high heel sandals and completely destroyed it! Needless to say, I was dismayed as it was beyond repair. Now I do not leave my shoes lying around!

Caring for a pet is fulfilling and brings great joy and pleasure. Anya is like a member of our family. We always look forward to Sundays when my son's dog Enzo comes over for a play date and I "babysit" them. It's fun playing with both of them together.

I do not subscribe to buying pets from a pet store as most of them are bred illegally in puppy mills. It's completely unethical and doing so will only encourage mass breeding of such puppies putting female adult dogs at great risks compromising their health. I definitely support HK Dog Rescue and Animals Asia Foundation as I love animals and abhor animal cruelty.

Hong Kong Dog Rescue
http://www.hongkongdogrescue.com/home/

Animal Asia
https://www.animalsasia.org/


2 comments:

  1. This is a really good article. Thanks. I hope more people would consider pet adoption as well. I just recently got a pet from orange county animal shelter and I'm really happy about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post. pet CBD

    ReplyDelete