Thursday 13 August 2009

Top Mod Elle: Elle MacPherson Interview for West East Magazine, Hong Kong


In a decade that spawned cherry red-lips, blue-eye-shadow and highlighter pink blush as the accepted norm (topped with a hair-sprayed coif that defied gravity and shoulder pads that were not relegated to football players), Elle MacPherson’s freshly scrubbed, toned and beach-tanned body from the ‘80s was an aberration to the modeling scene. A hot one. The doughy P.Ramakrishnan felt no shame (nor his gym card) when he had a chat with “the body”. Images courtesy of Lane Crawford

It’s hard to believe that she’s staring down the barrel of a 44 magnum - that’s her age BTW, which she’ll happily admit to. In modeling circles that’s also a pull the trigger moment, when you’re the wrong side of 22. Still, it’s hard to imagine she’s a single woman, mother of two, in her forties, working, when she looks… oh what’s the expression? Oh yeah, so-damn-fine!

The body of work pales in comparison to “the body”, which she’ll forever be known for, but this sun-kissed, Sydney-born, six-foot hotty has done so much more than her bikini-clad Sport Illustrated cover (six times in every decade for the past three).

She’s worked with the legends of cinema (from Barbara Streisand, Woody Allen to Anthony Hopkins), appeared regularly on highly successful television shows (F.R.I.E.N.D.S, Saturday Night Live) and now she’s got a line of lingerie selling the world over, of her own design.

In a merciless industry that pays obeisance to the young, new and thin, how this blonde bombshell has managed to remain relevant deserves plaudit and praise. Over to Ms MacPherson;

You’ve seemingly done it all; magazine cover girl, catwalk queen, acting, designing, motherhood, and are still referred to as Elle “the Body” Macpherson! Which role do you enjoy playing the most?

My primary purpose is to raise two sons in a loving and nourishing environment. I have been fortunate to be involved in many facets of the entertainment and fashion industries. My favourite is right here, right now.

To quote Oprah, and who wouldn’t, life’s come full circle. From modelling in sexy swimsuits to creating your own lingerie line. Was this something you had been thinking of for a while?

20 years ago I realised I had wide recognition in both Australia and the USA but it was my image that was being used to build other people’s brand. I was not interested in gratuitous press but wanted to use my image to build my own brand. I went to Bendon, who had been in the lingerie business for 50 years, and who wanted market share in Australia. The rest is history...

Tell us how involved you are in the whole business, what is your input and what inspires you when you design?

I am very involved in the design process, working closely with Sue Dunmore (Bendon’s head designer). We talk concepts, styles, designs, fabrics, colour and fit. I meet with her six times per year and see each garment 2-3 times before it hits the rack. It’s a fantastic collaboration, one that works and one that is very enjoyable.

Not everyone has the perfect figure to pull off (so to speak!) the lingerie body – are you creating lines for all body types and sizes?

The whole point about Elle MacPherson Intimates is that its lingerie for every ‘body!’ It is beautiful, sexy and most of all comfortable.




As an “aspirational” figure for millions of young girls everywhere, you always projected a healthy body type, never looked like a stick-figure in stilettos with a history of substance abuse. You’re more of a woman of substance…

(Laughs). Thanks!

…will this be reflected in the clothes you make too?

We cater for all shapes and sizes and it’s very important that we do! Soft cups to E-cups.

As the television show “F.R.I.E.N.D.S.” is on perpetual re-runs around the world, the six-episodes you were on have been seen by all and sundry. Did you enjoy the experience of being Janine Lecroix a.k.a. ‘Joey’s hot dancer roommate”?

Working with the cast of “F.R.I.E.N.D.S” was one of my most gratifying experiences I have had. They were patient and supportive of me as a rookie.

Is it hard to keep a straight face when the punch-lines were so good? Were there a lot of outtakes?

It is live television (well taped in front of a live audience!) so there was no room for out-takes or mistakes. It was a challenge but best of all we had a laugh!

Prior to the TV show, you have appeared in a few films too. Which has been a true acting experience – where you really had to push yourself and shed the ‘model’ image and really play a character?

I have made 8 movies; “Batman” with George Clooney, “The Mirror has Two Faces” with Barbara Streisand, “The Edge” with Anthony Hopkins, “It’s a Girl Thing” with Stockard Channing, “If Lucy Fell” with Sarah Jessica Parker, “Sirens” with Hugh Grant, “Jayne Eyre” with William Hurt. A lot of people think “Sirens” was my first film, it wasn’t! My first movie was “Alice” with Woody Allen - I had one line. I had brilliant actors and actresses and directors around me. Lucky me!

I’ve read that your modeling career happened by accident, you were discovered while you were on holiday. When you look back on this long celebrity making career, what were the most exciting times?

I was enrolled into law school in Australia. I had a gap year and I was working various jobs in a theatre restaurant and in a pharmacy. A friend of mine suggested I do modeling; we had a $20 bet if I went to see a modelling agency. I lost the bet… or won the bet depending on how you look at it!

You work around the world and are photographed at the snazziest events – but where’s home for you? Australia?
Australia is always home but I live in London. My intention is be in balance no matter where I am.

What can we expect from you in the near future?

I am interested in taking Elle Macpherson Intimates global, I would definitely like to expand my body products collection, ‘Elle Macpherson The body’ available in Boots in the UK and I am presently looking for a swimwear partner.

No comments:

Post a Comment