Monday 31 May 2010

Bollywood voice Powers way to the Top


At 23, Sunidhi Chauhan dominates the Indian charts. Now, her sights are set on the west, writes P.Ramakrishnan.

Long before American Idol, 11-year old Sunidhi Chauhan was shooting to fame on a nationally televised singing competition in Mumbai called Meri Awaaz Suno (Listen to My Voice).

Chauhan, now one of India's most popular singers, won the competition easily. That led to a recording contract with HMV (India) and a spot on the soundtrack to the 1996 film Shastra (Weapon). But then came the lull. "Success didn't come easily and I had to wait," she says. "Then I got the chance to sing the title song of the film Mast [in 1999]. But if a film doesn't do well, the songs can
get lost.

"The movie didn't do well, my voice was changing, I wasn't mature enough, things didn't pick up immediately. Years later, three of the tracks in Mast hit the charts and I've never looked back. But there were years in between when I just did one or two songs. Now I'm in a recording studio every week."

Now 23, and with an unprecedented 11 No 1 songs on Indian charts last year, Chauhan is unquestionably Bollywood's top female playback singer - who provides the vocals that are mimed by actors.

"Singers hope for at least one or two songs a year that will hit the charts and stay there. You can't trust sales figures or what radio shows say is in. Go to any party or club - is the song being played? That's the true mark. I'm blessed because a dozen of my songs have been hits, and not just in India."

Chauhan is an Indian Mariah Carey, Christina Aguilera and Diana Krall rolled into one feisty package, and her powerful vocals can be heard in almost every Indi-pop-bhangra club.

"My career is what it is because of the big jazzy, pop numbers, but I prefer to sing love songs. I enjoy soft numbers with good lyrics more than the chartbusters."

Like most singers, Chauhan listens to herself rarely. During the interview the strains of British jazz-funk band Incognito drift in the background. "I also love Billie Holiday. I listen to her a lot. One day I hope to cut an English album," she says.

"When I think of Indian artists who've recorded English songs, I think it hasn't emigrated well because the words don't strike a chord, even if the music is good. My interest in western music has always been there. It would be a dream come true to go into a music store anywhere in the world and find an Indian CD sitting alongside Celine Dion or Whitney Houston."

Chauhan now performs about 12 concerts per year around the world. She first came to Hong Kong several years ago as a back-up singer for Indian stars. "But this will be my first solo show in Hong Kong. I'm really looking forward to it, even though I'm visiting for just one day."


Thursday, April 27, 2006

No comments:

Post a Comment