Friday 25 September 2009

Bollywood bounces back: Indian stars are back on the horizon: Hong Kong grooves


Reeling from the Mumbai attacks, India's celebrities are throwing themselves into their work. On Christmas Day the country's top talent comes to Hong Kong, writes P.Ramakrishnan.

As a string of top Indian celebrities prepare to land in Hong Kong on Christmas Day in the aftermath of what the press has labelled India's 9/11, the mood is sombre.
 
'I'm hugely pessimistic about the government, the politicians and what's going to happen after the shooting and blasts in Mumbai,' says Bollywood star and model Bipasha Basu.

'After a few days, we all went back to work, but we don't feel safe. I have a younger sister who goes to university in Mumbai and she takes the local trains. I told her to stop. She turned around and asked me, 'Are you not going to a film set?' It felt like a slap on my face. Life goes on.'

Many Indian celebrities took to the streets for a peace march as the death toll climbed. Over the ensuing days, film and television shoots went ahead as normal in Mumbai, the heart of the vast Indian entertainment industry. The biggest movies of the year continue to be released as scheduled and the actors continue to do shows around the world, such as the event titled 'Chandni Chowk to Hong Kong', which is being held at the Convention and Exhibition Centre next Thursday.

Led by Indian actor Akshay Kumar and a bevy of Bollywood beauties including Basu, Priyanka Chopra (a former Miss World), Amisha Patel, Riya Sen, Aarti Chhabria, plus musicians Himesh Reshammiya, Bohemia and host Sajid Khan, the event is bringing a sizeable chunk of Mumbai's glamour quotient to Hong Kong.

'The attacks were shocking, devastating, but we are a resilient people. Film production and rehearsals continued soon after,' says Patel. 'Our way of life does not change. I know it's a cliche to say that if we change, the terrorists would have won, but what are the options? To cower and hide and be fearful? No, we got back to work.

'We work really hard, so we enjoy our time off too. I'm working on new dance routines, new remixes, new styles - I know there's a sizeable, successful Sindhi community in Hong Kong and I hope they all turn up to support us,' says Patel.
Chopra, who arrives after appearing in eight films this year - says getting back to work is key.

'Of course we were heartbroken but we got up and back to work. While there are many shows over the next few weeks and months, Hong Kong is my only show,' says Chopra. 'I'm working on new routines, music, my wardrobe is being worked on. We want to bring something fresh and new and its unlike any other show any of us have ever done.'

The cast has high praise for Kumar, who will be the frontman of the Christmas Day musical show.

'I did my first film with him and all the movies we've worked together on have done really well,' says Chopra. 'I have to state, the amount of energy and effort he puts in is incredible. He works really hard and puts on the best for his shows.'
Basu, who also did her first film with Kumar, agrees. 'Akshay works hard - period. The amount of energy he has, the amount of effort he puts into his shows, his movies ... if only I had a third of that energy.'

Voted the sexiest Asian woman alive by FHM India, Basu was a model before she hit the Hindi film industry. 'When I started, I prayed no one from my family or friends would see my movie because I found it so funny to be dancing around, after all the poise and posture of my modelling background. But I have to say I love it now. I love dancing, I love great music and I have a great time working in the industry.'
 
Basu has also danced to some of India's most successful chartbusters over the course of her career. 'When a song is first played to me, if I can remember the tune and some of the lyrics within the first play, I just know its going to be a huge hit. I've been very lucky recently,' she says.

As a tragic year comes to a close in India's entertainment capital, the cast feel as though they can still help end it on a high note. Patel says: 'Honestly, we really want to get back to work, life will continue as is. What better way to spend Christmas than with music and dance and lights and a little cheer? I feel we all need that, especially now.'

Chandni Chowk to Hong Kong, Dec 25, 7.30pm, Convention and Exhibition Centre, 1 Expo Drive, Wan Chai, HK$280-HK$4,800, HK Ticketing, Tom Lee. Inquiries: 2366 7725


Thursday December 18 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment