Wednesday 5 February 2014

A Fashionable Life: Hong Kong's Top Ten Models and Supermodels: Asian, Eurasian, Western: From Anderson to Zeller

A quick chat with the region's top ten models; Angelina, Pema, Helena, Cara, Mia, Lenka, Jocelyn, Angie, Rosemary and Melanie!

All the images provided to us by the models.


Out in Prestige mag's annual, Lifestyle, 2014.

Hong Kong's Top Ten (female) Models indeed.







ANGELINA ANDERSON Model beginnings: Angelina was scouted in Australia when she was 16 and moved here at 20 to model full-time. “My friends knew I wanted more from life and was very spontaneous and daring. I was one of the very few who just got up and left Sydney and started a whole new life elsewhere.” Making faces: Dr.Wu toner and essence, day cream and face cleanser, and Shiseido eye cream and night cream. Obsessed by: My Burberry coat. Fashion mishap: Walking on the runway in a near see-through dress. Best gig? A TV commercial for Hysan Place. Two days in front of a green screen and I was suspended on wires. I felt like I was flying! And worst? Working for four days straight in a dirty, half-built building in the middle of nowhere with no toilet. Guilty pleasure: I love McDonald’s thick shakes. I’m obsessed with food and have my own food blog at www.foodtasticangelina.com.

PEMA BANIGAN
Brief encounter: Canadian Pema was discovered at a diner having brunch with her family when she was 17. “I got on a plane the same night as my high-school prom.” Guilty pleasure: I love pumpkin pie. I could honestly eat it every day for the rest of my life. Best gig? I always have fun working with Lancôme. It’s a big beauty brand that I love, but also the make-up artists are always really sweet and it’s interesting to learn from them. And worst? I was shooting a campaign for a hotel last year. The last shot was by a lake, and there were so many mosquitoes. They bit my feet so badly that my friend carried me back to the car. Hot metal: I have a Marc Jacobs bangle I wear almost all the time. Making faces: I use coconut oil before bed when my skin is really dry and I always wear sunscreen during the day. I use Lancôme Génifique serum twice a day, and I wear Shiseido’s BB cream on top of my sunscreen when I go out.


HELENA CHAN
Early aspirations: Helena grew up dreaming of being a model but success didn’t come easy. “I would force my mother to take photos of me ‘modelling’ around the house. At 16 she finally let me go to open castings, but I was rejected by every agency in Hong Kong for almost four years.” Making faces: 100 per cent aloe vera. It’s so affordable from either Watsons or Mannings. After cleansing, I rub in the aloe vera all over my face, avoiding the eyes. I do this for about three minutes and then let it dry. It leaves your skin feeling smooth and hydrated. Guilty pleasure: If I could, I’d have chocolate cake all day, every day! Babies: A month ago I adopted two guinea pigs named Honey and Fluffington. Hot threads: A beautiful lace dress from Bless’ed Are The Meek. It’s very special and fits me like a glove.

CARA GROGAN-MCILROY
Screen grab: Aussie Cara was scouted in Singapore on the street. “It was a classic moment out of a movie.” Fashion mishap: When a mall made me dress like a sexy Mrs Santa Claus. Obsessed by: Hats. I think people actually think there’s something wrong with my head, I wear them so much. Hot threads: Right now my one-piece PJ set – I’m pregnant and it’s comfy. I blame the baby! Best gig? I did a hosting gig in Fiji for 10 days for Nat Geo – that definitely tops my list of best jobs so far. And worst? They’re never that bad… Toted around: Water, iPhone, charger, snacks and Lucas’ Papaw Ointment. Pregnant pause: Pre-pregnancy, margaritas were my fave.





MIA KANG
Happy endings: Mia didn’t grow up aspiring to model. “Up until the age of 13, I was the chubby kid in class who got bullied because I was fat.” Shaping up: Hot yoga, cold pressed juices, herbal supplements. Boom! Best gig? A couple of years ago I was on holiday in Tunisia when I got a phone call from my London agency saying Chanel in Paris wanted to shoot me for a lipstick ad. The next morning I was in Coco Chanel’s apartment in Paris, lying on her sofa, puckering up to the camera. Fashion mishap: When I took off my shoes on the runway at Hong Kong Fashion Week. It was either that or fall flat on my face. Ultimate pout: M.A.C Ruby Woo Lipstick. You never know when you’re going to need to jazz things up a bit. Making faces: I go to Flawless because they do bespoke facials.

LENKA KORBOVA
Model memory: Lenka snuck out of the house to go camping and stumbled into modelling. “I was on the street, trying to get up the courage to go home when a scout from one of the top agencies approached me. I told her I’d have to call her back in three months when I was finished being grounded.” Guilty pleasures: Chocolate milkshakes and cheesecake. Who says models don’t eat? Best gig? A shoot for a calendar in Mauritius where I spent five amazing days in paradise – did I mention that it was a naked shoot? And worst? My very first fashion show in Vienna. I had to wear a rubber outfit that made me look like I was wearing a giant condom. Making faces: Paula’s Choice, not available in Hong Kong. I have to order it from the US. Hot threads: A sexy little blue cocktail dress from Zara. I’m not concerned about how big or small the brand is; the dress has to be good. Hot metal: A necklace that my boyfriend gave me. It’s a piece of black volcanic rock for protection against the evil eye.

JOCELYN LUKO-SANDSTROM
Japan-easy: An agency in Hawaii asked if Jocelyn wanted to do a contract in Japan when she was 15. “Every summer I went back to model until I graduated. After that, there was no looking back.” Best gig? I always dreamed of working in New York, so when I got my first job there for Cosmo it was amazing. And worst? In Korea, shooting summer clothes in the middle of winter while the snow was still on the ground. I was so cold I couldn’t stop shaking. Fashion mishap: Falling down during a show, bum in the air and everything. Hot threads: My J Brand jeans. I live in them. Hot metal: My wedding ring. Making faces: Face repair oil from my company Glimpse, all natural and made from mangosteen. Babies: Simba and Nala, kitties both adopted from the SPCA. Toted around: My iPhone. Guilty pleasures: For food it’s cheese. My favourite drink with that is wine or a glass of single malt Scotch whisky.

ANGIE NG
Well spotted: Malaysian designer Michael Ong spotted Angie in a mall and convinced her to try an agency. “There I met my mentor, and the rest was history.” Old friends: Would be amazed to see me now. I used to be a gawky, tanned, rather wide girl guide. Best gig? Easy Chat China. The story line required a lot of acting. It pushed me further than just being a model per se. And worst? Agent Provocateur in London, in skimpy lingerie with a whip in autumn. I was 18 and it was really, really cold. Women scolded me, cars honked and I bumped into my law school classmates. Go-to items: My Levis 501s. They’re oversized, super ancient and torn. And Chopard’s happy ring. Making faces: Avène truly works for my sensitive skin. And ResVitále’s Ultra Collagen Enhance supplement. Guilty pleasure: Sea salt dark chocolate.

ROSEMARY VANDENBROUCKE
Model memory: I was such a tomboy in high school. Shaping up: In 2013 I ran the Standard Chartered Half Marathon in February, the Great Wall Marathon in May and Action Asia’s 60km Ultra Marathon in Nepal in November to raise money for the Child Welfare Scheme. Guilty pleasure: Royce’s dark chocolate-coated almonds. Fashion mishap: At one of the International designer shows for Hong Kong Fashion Week I was wearing an elegant tube dress and asked to play around with a gorgeous pink silk shawl on stage. The next day in all the papers, there I was with my arms spread wide and the area in question poking out of my dress unnecessarily circled in red. Hot metal: My engagement ring, one of a kind and custom designed by creative genius Adam Pollina. Obsessed by: My new Giuseppe Zanotti white leather high tops. Toted around: My trusty Kiehl’s Lip Balm and a little refillable vile filled with one of my favourite perfumes.

MELANIE ZELLER
Model most unlikely: Melanie never envisioned herself as a model. “LA Models wanted to sign me up right away, so I didn’t bother going to the other agencies. It’s hard to believe I’ve been working for 10 years.” Best gig? On-location TV commercials. One such trip was for Nokia shooting in South Africa. Fashion mishap: In Bangkok during a swimwear show, I was the first model to come out and of course the runway was freshly polished for the show. My foot slipped out from under me on my second step, landing me in an awkward surfer pose with arms out to the sides and legs wide. Obsessed by: I can’t emphasise enough the importance of sun protection – I’m crazy about it. I use an all-natural sunscreen by Bella Mari that smells amazing and pours like a lotion. Hot threads: A Karen Millen wool coat that fits so perfectly, it’s like it was made for me. Hot metal: I’ve had a toe ring on my right foot for as long as I can remember, but I guess my favourite right now is my engagement ring.

No comments:

Post a Comment