Monday 9 November 2009

Photoshoot: A Man for All Seasons: Indian TV star, actor, model Abhinav Shukla at 4 Seasons Mumbai: East meets West

Outtakes from a shoot I did in Mumbai last summer. 

Behind the Scenes: Originally, this shoot was supposed to mix Western designer-wear with Eastern (including Indian, Chinese and Japanese luxury brands). The idea was to hit the streets of Mumbai to capture the razzmatazz of beloved Bombay (er Mumbai) and showcase the city of Technicolor dreams. 

Unlike the dull palettes of other cities, Mumbai’s got a grand sartorial hybrid, you can see a girl in jeans and an Indian top, an embroidered ‘kurta’ with the latest GQ-esqure accessories on a dude. Some sad Uncle in a Versace shirt and ‘dhoti’! LOLs. 

There’s no confusion in the fusion, except in language. Hinglish is a bit horrifying – especially in print but is spoken at length in Mumbai; a mix of Hindi and English. 

Unfortunately, everything went haywire when terrorist attacks hit Mumbai city, a day after I landed. Blasts in train stations, others in the heart of the city, every block was a potential landmine waiting to erupt. And with the chorus of my mother’s constant panic (aah the uncut umbilical chord…), it was all going horribly wrong. I had deadlines and dead bodies on my mind and was pacing up and down my copious room (the suite was SWEET!)… I was getting that knot in my stomach – the ones that others get when they do a sit up. 

Stuck with a suitcase full of clothes, having booked an entire team in Mumbai for the shoot, I really didn’t want to rent a studio. We could have done that anywhere, so why bother flying all the way down to India? While mulling around the hotel, it hit me. Why go out when 4 Seasons Mumbai provided the most incredible background?! 

Born of necessity more than preplanned inspiration, we got a fab spread; 4 Seasons Mumbai is MAGNIFICENT! I loved every moment of my stay there; the food, the décor, the comfort, the amazing staff, the finesse of everything. I coordinated with their amazing PR and marketing team and they helped us out to the hilt. 

From food, stay, changing rooms, getting people to move things around, I was beyond impressed and touched by the amazing, anonymous folks that fly the 4 Seasons flag high. I’ve had the joy and privilege to stay in many of their hotels and Mumbai’s been my favourite. In times of need, they stepped up, for which I’m eternally grateful. 

Back in 2005, having worked with photographer Ayesha Broacha (the brunette in blue jeans in pics above) before, I knew we’d have fun. A few years ago, I had done this massive cover story and shoot in Mumbai for a cover story for a British magazine TRI (see here) and we spent hours together taking snaps of the city and its gorgeous people. I adored working with her as, despite the cloying heat, we kept each others’ spirits up. I also love the fact that she’s hyper efficient and fast on her feet. We didn’t do that whole ‘getting permits to shoot in the city’ bit and the guerrilla style photo-shoot came off brilliantly. This chick rules! 

And I’m planning my third (fourth?) shoot with Ayesha in 2010. It’s going to be our annual affair on camera. (BTW she’s happily married to the popular actor/VJ/comedian Cyrus Broacha } for those who know the famed VJ/TV personality). 

I can’t remember exactly who it was, but I sent out mass emails to everyone I knew in Mumbai and one of the responses (definitely a googly-eyed girl who had a massive crush on gym-sculpted Shukla) recommended model turned TV actor Abhinav Shukla for the shoot. Being a Gladrags graduate, I knew Abhinav would look the part and have the height to pull off the sample sizes from Zegna, Dior Homme, Shanghai Tang, Cavalli etc but working with starlets on a shoot can be painful (the Olsen twins’ interview was great fun, the shoot…. Er. Not so much). Fortunately, he turned out to be the nicest guy (who was late on the date of the shoot - ahem!) and did the fastest changes. These are ALL the shots I took during ‘The making of’. I always take them for references and credits. 

From the date of shoot to date of publication, there can be a long gulf so, its good to keep a record of everything. Mumbai’s the best. During one of the meetings, I had an incredible job offer from Conde Nast India, for a very senior position at GQ India. I sat on that invite and decision to shift to Mumbai for weeks. But I had other (regrettable!) commitments in Hongkers. So I came back. But every time I see GQ India in a shop… Aah coulda, woulda, shoulda...

In pics, Model/actor Abhinav Shukla and India's FINEST menswear designer Narendra Kumar Ahmed, photographer Ayesha Broacha

PUBLISHED SHOTS, photography byAyesha Broacha
  1. Embroidered jacket by Samsara, jeans by Shanghai Tang, shoes by Ermenegildo Zegna
  2. Striped shirt and leather bag by Ermenegildo Zegna, velvet jacket, red pants and shoes by Narendra Kumar, shades by Shanghai Tang
  3. Wardrobe by Narendra Kumar, pearl pendant by Signature, shades by Juicy Couture
  4. Jacket by Narendra Kumar, shirt by Shanghai Tang, jeans by Juicy Couture, white leather briefcase by Valextra (courtesy of Lane Crawford) and shoes by Ermenegildo Zegna
  5. Pants and shirt by Shanghai Tang, embroidered jacket by Valaya Quantum jacket at Samsara, shoes by Ermenegildo Zegna, sunglasseses by Juicy Couture
  6. Overcoat and pants by Narendra Kumar, shoes by Ermenegildo Zegna


1 comment: