Tuesday 29 September 2009

Take Five: David Yurman


Possibly one of the most famous jewelers in the world, David Yurman’s eponymous label is an American classic that’s recognised the world over. Molded into perfection since 1980, it wasn’t just a fusion of precious metal and stone but of two artists; namely David and his wife Sybil. Between the sculptor and the painter, the combination of their unique, aesthetic vision is magic, as each of their bejeweled pieces are collected and adorned by the crème de la crème the world over. As 250 new designs hit over 400 select retail locations each year, P.Ramakrishnan caught up with him soon after his flagship store opened in Hong Kong, at the IFC mall.


Q: How was the opening of the signature store of your namesake brand in Hong Kong?
A: Wonderful. Just wonderful. So many people came to support the opening and there were so many beautiful people about, all enthusiastic and knowledgeable of fine jewellery. I really like a mix of people. Variety is key. I don’t like the same kind of people all in one room, that’s so boring! We had a beautiful model from China as the star attraction, but really, I found all the people who attended beautiful too, just lovely.

Q: Are there plans to expand into China?
A: Yes. Maybe not immediately but China is definitely on the horizon. We’re certainly looking into it and are curious. It’s good to be curious in this business!

Q: Places like Thailand, which is very keen on gold or cultures like in India, where jewellery is part of every-day life, will we see David Yurman stores popping up all around Asia?
A: All of Asia is interesting to me but, to look at it that specifically, well, I don’t really work that way. For example, I’ve wanted to open in India for a while. I have great friends and people I work with there. I met this very interesting guy who works with jewellery and I invited him to one of my events. He wasn’t famous, he wasn’t a celebrity, but he was this interesting character who was my guest. I invite people I want to invite and it’s not necessarily a PR exercise.




Q: Despite all the controversy and tabloid that follows her around, Kate Moss has been your advertising muse for a long time…
A: Well, she’s a good friend and a lovely girl!

Q: How was the big Metropolitan Museum of Art Costume Institute Gala in New York? Julia Roberts and George Clooney as hosts, the A-list from the film, music and fashion industry in attendance. There were more celebrities than the Oscars.
A: It was fine event. We sponsored a table for the event and of course I’ve known Anna [Wintour, editor of Vogue] for a long, long time. In fact, I knew her when… don’t you dare print what I’m about to say!

I won’t!



Images: Courtesy of David Yurman

No comments:

Post a Comment