Sunday 23 May 2010

Keep Your Hat On: Photography book with tasteful nudes hits Hong Kong: The city's biggest stars, models and socialites in the buff



Noted Hong Kong-based photographer Ike Eichensehr is scheduled to release a book this coming January that's bound to raise... a few eyebrows. Over the last decade, he's travelled all around Asia taking pictures of the most incredible scenery for his compendium. And some very naked people. P.Ramakrishnan gets behind the seams.

All images by Ike.


We've had ugly hiccups with beautiful nudes. Frantic calls from models that, in whatever state they were in, decided to shed their inhibitions for a photographer and as publication dates crawled closer, they got cold feet. Tears, fears and hysteria resulted in last-minute changes to layouts and overtime that crept well into the night. A ban on any kind of nakedness in our magazine ensued. Just not worth the grief.

Ike Eichensehr is confident that there won't be any such trouble ahead. "The book is mostly a collection of my photography over the last 10 years and I've never had any trouble with the people who have posed for me. In fact, all of them did it for free and have seen the results. There's nothing hardcore, it's all very sensual stuff, more like foreplay, nothing too sexual or dark. And there's no in-your-face nudity, no fake massive breasts. That's just not my style."

The Chicago native came to Hong Kong eight years ago with his then Chinese wife. With a BA degree in advertising from Columbia, the artist simply known as "Ike" fell into photography when he was in the Navy. "I didn't really go out on ships and was taking very basic photographs of helicopters and stuff. It was for catalogues and references I think, but I really enjoyed taking the pictures and of course I love what I do now."

Why wouldn't he? He's constantly travelling to incredible locations, shooting gorgeous people, film stars and the like. 

"I was really inspired by the early works of Herb Ritts, the lighting that brought out the sensuality, and the tone of his images. It's a lot easier to get nude models now than it was when I started, but then that's expected of course as Asia is more conservative. Before each shoot, I showed them my earlier work and explained the shot to them. It's never anything too complicated so they agree. I have never had to really convince even reluctant people to pose. The book, "Eight Characters of Asia," sort of just happened. I have always wanted to put out a book and it took this much time to come up with a cohesive theme and style."

Over time, surely styles have changed, the equipment, the quality, the budgets, not to mention the radical revolution of images brought on by the advent of Photoshop that even a 10 year-old has access to? The pro photographer disagrees.

"The shots I took years ago or the one last week, there isn't much difference in style. I like to keep it really simple. Natural light, not a lot of hair and makeup drama - just people on beaches and the rocks, taking in the environment."

Reeling back for a second, Ike says with a chuckle, "Once I shot a girl at the beach in Guam and my dog Antonio, a Jack Russell, went up and bit her breast! I don't know what brought that on but I was very proud of my dog! The girl wasn't too happy though."


"Well, just trying explaining that to the doctor.

With a laugh Ike says, "On location in Lantau, I was shooting a girl, au naturelle in nature and we got a little carried away and lost track of time. When I turned around about 20 boy scouts were standing around. I was embarrassed beyond belief and had to throw my shirt on the girl. But it wasn't anything raunchy, they very artistic shots, so we apologised and left."

For the record there are some men in the book in the buff too. "When shooting in this style, you really want toned and athletic bodies and there are some people that just shouldn't get naked on film, ever. While shooting men, I had them do more physical activities like climbing, and crazier things to bring out their athleticism."


So what was the challenge in putting this together? "Getting a publisher wasn't easy," he responds. "At first no one would return my calls or e-mails, but now, somehow everyone's calling. I just don't understand the sudden change."

Another book is in the offing, even if it's in its most nebulous state at the moment. 

"Over-the-top excess is the theme in mind. The filthy, young rich, like the Asian Paris Hilton, but sexy. Oh, but no more nudes in that book."


No comments:

Post a Comment