Thursday 13 August 2009

A Different Beat



She brought ethnic chic to the forefront long before it was trendy P Ramakrishnan was in conversation with fashionista Tania Mohan.

Housing the best of Asian couture and prĂȘt a porter in her boutique in the heart of Hong Kong, Tania Mohan created ‘Tabla’, her signature store, long before Indo-centric fashion spilled into the glossy pages of Vogue, Elle, Harper’s Bazaar and the like. Often voted as Asia’s most stylish and certainly most photogenic, she spills the beans on taking chances and being at the right place at the right time.

Ethnic-chic could have been a passing trend like the Macarena or Fashion Café. You bravely opened up shop long before Indo-centric fashion really took off.
I set up Tabla purely by chance. I was at a crossroads in my life and out of the blue, I got an amazing offer to set up a shop in Princes Building. That was eight years ago and I'm so happy I was not at the neighbour's house when opportunity knocked. It's one of the best decisions I have made in my life.

You’re doing your own designs now. What’s the inspiration?
I started playing around a couple of years ago, tweaking ready-made garments and making slight changes to things. I am lucky that after years in the business, the factories I work with let me try my hand at designing pieces in tiny quantities - then I started to get international orders and then just kept on designing. Now I do a knit wear and resort line. I just signed with an agent in New York so let's see how the fall winter ‘o8 collection sells.

Tell me a little about your background in design, did you study fashion?
I didn't study fashion, I studied law and got a Bachelor's and my Post Graduate certificate in law. I intended to be a barrister, but again, through chance and timing, I got a job as the fashion editor for a Hong Kong newspaper. I got to interview many international designers and visit and write about Coco Chanel's home in Paris, the house of Lanvin. I styled over 100 fashion shoots during that time for various Asian magazines. Last year I co-hosted a TV show on Discovery Travel and Living called Fashion Avenue with British supermodel Jodie Kidd.

There are these persistent rumours that you were a model too?
(With a breezy laugh) When I was younger I was a model…ish. I took part in Hong Kong Fashion Week where I did the runway for designers Pacino Wan, Flora Cheong Leen and William Ma. I was a fit model for Germen fashion house Mondi about 10 years ago. Gave me great insight into how buyers buy collections, how many pieces and ranges a collection normally carries. All that became useful information and knowledge that later helped me.

Who is your favourite style icon?
Kate Moss dresses fabulously. I love the way the late Carolyn Besset Kennedy dressed and also Rene Russo's wardrobe in the remake of the Thomas Crown Affair.

Who are your favourite Asian designers?
I love Indian designers Monisha Jaising and Tarun Tahiliani.
You’ve got a huge multi-cultural customer base. Indians, Pakistanis as well as Westerners, Hong Kong residents and even Japanese!
Yes I've been lucky in that respect, and I do have a great cross selection of clients including a very large local clientele. Every individual is different in their tastes and sometimes it is a real eye opener to see what one finds beautiful and another doesn't. I have many customers from Pakistan too - a good friend has been so helpful in introducing me to the right people, the most stylish people with a discerning eye. There are so many gorgeous women wearing my brand - I love it.


Image: Courtesy of photographer Ike
Hair & Makeup: Karen Yiu

Summer Issue
PRIVE ASIA 2008

1 comment:

  1. Dear Rama,
    loved the magazine and really really liked the piece you did on me and tabla.
    thanks and well done. xxx Tania

    Got this lovely note from the lovely Tania post publication. bless.

    ReplyDelete