Friday 2 March 2012

His Body of Evidence: Personal Trainer Douglas Pieterse Sweats it Out


The rule of thumb is simple: you cannot go to a dentist who has bad teeth, visit a doctor who has poor health habits, and you surely can’t be trained by someone who looks like they could use a sit-up or 20. The merits and perils of the job are such that personal trainer Douglas Pieterse, 30, co-owner of Sweat gym on Stanley Street in Central, has to maintain a fit and fabulous physique. Not much of a challenge for someone listed in a magazine as one of the eight best bodies in Hong Kong, right?

“I don’t really know what to say to that, but I was surprised when the magazine opened with my shot,” says Pieterse. “There was a rugby player who had eight-pack abs.”

As a Brazilian jiu-jitsu exponent, he’s never had to wrestle with weight or wage a battle of the bulge. “For the job, yes, I do think it is important to lead by example,” he says. “It’s important that I know what the clients are going to experience; I convey the exercise to them. Working out is not easy; it’s a commitment.”

With a wife, two sons under the age of two, a full-time job and an overbooked schedule, it’s amazing that Pieterse finds time to work out. “My day often starts at 5am and ends quite late. In the middle, I make time to work out, usually in
the late afternoons, the non-prime time hours, when most people are at work. I also ensure that I dedicate some time to my own workouts on weekends.”

Rama: I heard your wife, Joey Lee, a former champion kick-boxer, really kicked your diet into gear.Douglas Pieterse: She did. The prime changes were made post-marriage, as she’s very careful about what she eats. As a busy personal trainer, I ate really badly. I ate lots of junk and fast food, as time was a limitation. In between appointments, it was KFC, McDonald’s, cookies and sandwiches loaded with trans fats. I grabbed whatever I could find. It’s true I didn’t have six-pack abs before because, as much as I trained, you cannot out-train a bad diet.

What did you start eating?Lots of greens. Now my diet mainly consists of whole foods, vegetables and fruits. No surprise there. But it’s also making sure I make time to eat right. For breakfast, oats and flax seeds with bananas or apples. Afternoons are hard, and I have to confess, even now I basically eat what I can get my hands on. Evenings tend to start with vegetables, broccoli, cauliflower and vegetable soup. Soups give that false sense of filling you up so you don’t overeat. I have a small piece of meat for protein, followed by more fruits to end the meal.

There are some people who seem to be at the gym all the time and yet see minor results. What are people getting wrong?If you are not constantly challenging your body, you will see no results. The body loves being challenged so it can adapt, so make sure you step out of your comfort zone to get the best results from your training.

What’s a good machine to use to get biceps?I don’t like using machines to work on isolated muscles. If you want bigger biceps, I suggest you start working on your pull-ups or chin-ups. This will allow you to work other muscle groups, too, and give you a better workout. The rope that we have hanging off the ceiling may look like it’s mainly for the arms, but it’s also for a full upper body exercise. Muscles don’t work in isolation.

Hong Kong seems to be teeming with gyms and new fads of training. What’s Sweat’s appeal?It’s a relatively small enterprise with two full-time and two part-time trainers, and we put together individual programmes for all our clients. With high intensity workouts, it’s a goal-oriented programme. Lots of the generic gyms follow some kind of strict programme. We go by what our clients need and like; we read each client and adapt our training to them. You know why most people leave gyms? Boredom. No one wants to do the same thing again and again, and they don’t want to be clumped together with a bunch of others who have different body types and needs.

But isn’t gym work repetitive by it’s very nature?You have to change the patterns. We do circuit training, which is fun
as it’s different each time. We use machines like the Airdyne bike and PowerMax bodyweight training tool. When we first introduce them to clients, they are amazed. They’re very simple pieces of equipment, but fun.

You work with a lot of youngsters. How do you encourage them to try to be healthy?I have found the best ways to encourage youngsters is to lead by example, make the sport a game so they enjoy it, and set attainable goals which give them a sense of success.

Can your wife kick your butt?Most likely – I haven’t taken the time to find out.

UPDATE: Douglas  now at http://www.r3personaltraining.com/



By P.Ramakrishnan
(ramakrishnanp @ hotmail. com)

Published in South China Morning Post
Health Post
Fit and Fab Column

See earlier feature: 24 hrs: Joey Lee

See earlier feature: Kick the Girls and Make them Cry

1 comment:

  1. Douglas has always pushed himself beyond normal physical limits, yet has shown utmost patience with those around him. He has two younger siblings, to whom he gave a lot of attention whilst growing up. His younger brother, could crawl by the age of 3 months, and was walking comfortably by 7 months, thanks to the constant attention and encouragement form Douglas. His sister, even younger, achieved the same. With total commitment and utter unselfishness, he strives for the best results in everyone around him. He brings light into a dark world, and fills your life with contagious smiles. - a note from his mother.

    ReplyDelete