Thursday 20 October 2011

Jing Zhang & Rama



Have had to BITE my lip after a comment yesterday - and the muzzle lasted for all of 27 hours. A record for me. Jing and I (pictured, in a rather nautical uniform of sorts) were at an event where a rather ambitious PR rep had to resort to the most incredulous hyperbola while introducing us to a designer, "This is Jing and Rama, the two most influential fashion writers in Hong Kong."

Now, Jing, I'll concur to. After a fleeting dalliance with Kee magazine, her reign over West East (once the most notable award-winning fashion rag in the 852 that's... well, I don't know what's happening with that magazine now), Zhang is the fashion editor at South China Morning Post. As guardian of good taste and all things concerning brands, luxury and fashion in SCMP, sure, her voice, her words matter. In the grand scheme of things, the resurrection of the style quota in Style magazine, I'll grudgingly assign to Jingerz. Despite her criminal dress sense, she's got great taste in what goes into the publications she eyes over (Post mag, Style and so on).

I on the other hand...

I do a weekly column under the aegis of the house of Zhang, among other publications. I have about as much influence as the tea-lady at the office. In fact, she probably has more influence as I can be replaced with a monkey on crack, but the tea lady, well, she knows where the things are. Tea, water, kettle. Typing away on bits and bobs trying to make rent, running on a prayer and caffeine, the only influence I've had... came from a questionable bottle.

Lovvvaduck, Hong Kong, cracks me up.

PS: Is it wrong to be secretly pleased by the remark, despite the fiction involved?

3 comments:

  1. oh don't be so down on yourself, don't doubt the power of your words m'love x

    ReplyDelete
  2. just saw this! Rama don't be so hard on yourself!
    criminal dress sense - whatevs bitch! ..criminal like your DVD collection...hahaha

    Jing x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Neither hard nor going down. Oh lord... I fear I've stepped on something inappropriate. Again.

    ReplyDelete