Monday 6 December 2010

Creative Steps




Business of Design Week gives William To a chance to indulge in his passion for products.

Words: P.Ramakrishnan
Photographer: Jonathan Wong


I started out as an advisor for the media marketing campaign in 2003 and 2004 of the Business of Design Week (BODW). In 2005, when the project director resigned six weeks before the event, I was asked to jump in on a full-time basis and I've been director ever since.

I'm really not a designer per se, I was in advertising for 18 years. My background is not in design, but advertising is all about design too. The power of advertising was the first influence in design that made me step into this field.

I'm interested in product design, architecture, graphics and, because of my training in advertising, we basically have to be in touch with different industries and all aspects of design.

Creativity prevails in a commercial city like ours. In fact, more businesses will use design as a powerful tool to stay competitive.

Currently, I'm focusing on BODW. For this year's event we have Italy as our partner country (registration and full programme can be found at www.bodw.com). I have just completed this year's final judging of Design for Asia Awards - we have some outstanding winners. The result will be announced on December 12 at the HKDC Annual Award Gala Dinner during BODW 2007. We have a steering committee made up of professors, designers, mostly from the local industry and universities. There's an exciting array of winners this year that will surprise many.

No comments:

Post a Comment