Thursday 10 October 2019

TBT: Sridevi

The death of Indian actress Sridevi will be an enduring mystery as something as pedestrian as "accidental drowning" took away a cine-Goddess at the young age of 54*. Legions of her fans still cannot fathom it and several conspiracies (each more mad than the other) float online. * Perhaps only in tandem with death can 54 seem so painfully  young....

Anyhoo, was on a press trip for the magazine back in 2012 when I saw 'the' Sridevi strut confidently into the lobby of a hotel and I spoke to the PRs and said, this street will burn to the ground if you don't introduce me to that legendary movie star. 

They lol'd. I've been told that I'm about as threatening as a bag of kittens. 

We were introduced. I babbled on incoherently while staring into the luminescent one... 

In two sittings, I got the feature out - pitched it to the editor of Post magazine. Voila. A cover story was born.

BTW As she was leaving, I asked Sridevi to pls do more films and if we could do a memoir or biography of sorts - this was back in the day (an earlier request back in 2005 was also waved off) when she was hesitant to return to the limelight.  

She responded, "A book on me? Why? I'm just an ordinary housewife now..."

"NO!", I interrupted. "You're a Goddess. You just don't know you're a Goddess!"

She laughed and patted my head (she's a foot taller than me). And walked away, with her bodyguard and assistant in tow. 

RIP Sridevi. RIP My Queen.


No comments:

Post a Comment