Friday 23 August 2013

Uncommon threads: Interview with Indian designer Tarun Tahiliani


Click to enlarge
Indian designer Tarun Tahiliani's bridal wear and fusion fashion have made him the toast of his homeland, writes P.Ramakrishnan.


The hyperbolic tag of India's "king of couture" precedes anything that designer Tarun Tahiliani does - and with good reason. As the first Mumbai-born designer to showcase in Milan, Paris and Cannes, his name is on the lips of fashionistas in New York as well as in New Delhi, his home.

"Fashion is all about attitude," says Tahiliani. "You see a reflection of society in how people dress. If the economy's doing well, they dress well. If people are looking drab, then I'd worry."

The designer's shimmering ensembles are worn by the rich and famous in India, but they are rarely seen in Bollywood films. He doesn't care.

"That has never been my scene," Tahiliani says from his Delhi studio a few days before a flight  to Hong Kong. "There's a distinction between a costume designer and a fashion designer. The costume designer sources clothes to suit the look of a particular film. But that's not what I do. I design. If I had to sit around catering to the whims of a Bollywood starlet on the set of a film, I'd shoot myself," he says with a chuckle.


....More at scmp.com


NOTES:

So great to finally meet and chat with Tarun - his work is exquisite.  We had an amazing chat, and we spoke about my other fav topic in the world (first being Sri!); Aishwarya Rai! Rama








No comments:

Post a Comment