Friday 24 February 2012

Asha Bhosle right in tune with HK crowd


Trust legendary Indian singer Asha Bhosle, 78, to remain as sharp as a tack soon after landing in Hong Kong. When asked how she was looking forward to her second concert on our smoggy shores, she retorted, with her impish grin: "It's my third! I've been to Hong Kong a few times for personal reasons - I first came to Hong Kong back in 1960 - my goodness how it has changed. But in concert, [it was] back in 1986 and 1989."

Still, 23 years after her last show, at Queen Elizabeth Stadium, she is still pitch perfect. Her vast repertoire has earned her an entry in the Guinness World Records as the most recorded female artist, and the grandmother-of-five has been showered with other accolades.

"Awards are fine. It's a nice way of being recognised, but as long as they keep playing my songs, I'm happy," she said.

Bhosle has sung for every leading actress in India since 1947. When asked to name the Bollywood beauty she most enjoyed singing for, she was initially reticent to comment.

"Well, I've sung for many beautiful Indian actresses, like Rekha, Hema Malini and Sridevi, so how can I name just one?" she said. "Even the younger girls of today are wonderful. I like Aishwarya Rai Bachchan and Priyanka Chopra. The rest, well, I can't tell one from another."

Eternal Asha, presented by Jade Group, starts at 8pm tonight at the Concert Hall of the Cultural Centre. Tickets are HK$300 to HK$1,200. For inquiries, call Urbtix on 60190621.

CITYSEEN
By P. Ramakrishnan
ramakrishnanp @ hotmail. com
Feb 23, 2012
Portrait by Sabrina Sikora


No comments:

Post a Comment