Friday 30 September 2011

Bollywood singer Shreya in town for one-off concert


Celebrations for Diwali will begin early this year for Hong Kong’s Indian community, when they gather tomorrow (Sat/Oct 1) night to hear the angelic voice of Shreya Ghoshal, who will be performing a one-off concert in the Jockey Club Auditorium at Polytechnic University. Indian New Year falls on October 26 this year.

As one of Bollywood’s most recognised singers – having won an incredible 46 popular awards won over the past 10 years for songs in numerous languages – Ghoshal is also a judge on India’s X Factor, a role that beams her into the homes of potentially a billion Indians.

“Judging the show has been great fun,” said Ghoshal, 27, who herself was a reality show contestant as a teenager. “I was never confident contestant as a child, and felt so shy getting up on stage, but kids today – they dance, wink at the audience, they work the cameras. I’m amazed by them!”

Just 16 when she started singing for Bollywood films (she won her first National Award, handed to her by India’s president, at 17), she has found fame and fortune in her work.

“I’m an ol’ pro. I feel so old! I think working in Mumbai has aged me,” she said

Though she’s only been in Hong Kong before en route to other destinations, she says she’s looking forward to hitting the tourist attractions – and some recommendations she got on Facebook. Ghoshal has a whopping 3.1 million followers on the social networking site and fans have recommended a few hot spots for her to check out.

“But I’d like to do it in peace with my family and friends, so am not letting you know when and where I’m hitting Hong Kong.”

P. Ramakrishnan
ramakrishnanp@hotmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment