For Hong Kong cinema buffs, here's an all-too-familiar face; the effortlessly elegant Rosamund Kwan Chi-lam. Born into industry royalty as the daughter of Shaw Brothers icon Kwan Shan and actress Cheung Bing-sai, beauty was practically her birthright. Yet, as audiences across the globe would soon discover, Kwan was far more than an heiress to cinematic lineage; she was the undisputed face of nineties screen glamour.
Making her feature film debut opposite Chow Yun-fat in 1982’s The Head Hunter, Kwan’s porcelain features and expressive, almond-shaped eyes instantly captivated directors. Throughout the boom years of Asian cinema, particularly Hong Kong cinema's movie empire, she became the ultimate leading lady to the region's biggest titans.
Whether trading banter with Jackie Chan in high-octane blockbusters like Armour of God or matching romantic sparks with Andy Lau in sleek urban dramas, her presence elevated every frame.
Her career reached mythical heights when auteur Tsui Hark cast her in Once Upon a Time in China. As Thirteenth Aunt, a spirited, Westernised beauty straddling the divide between tradition and modernity, Kwan delivered an iconic performance opposite Jet Li. Wearing minimal makeup on screen to highlight her natural elegance, she transformed a classic period archetype into an enduring cultural icon.
Stepping away from movie sets in 2007 after a career spanning more than 60 films, Kwan pivoted gracefully into entrepreneurship, fashion design, and high-profile real estate investment. Today, she remains a timeless fixture in Hong Kong’s social register - a living testament to an unrepeatable era of cinematic magic.
Giddy, would be the word to describe the team as we photographed for the cover of LIfestyle, the perfectly divine Ms Kwan. Here's our exclusive conversation.
Before this interview I spoke with a film critic who said, “Oh Rosamund, she was so beautiful in her movies.” That’s the enduring image that’s etched on moviegoers’ minds: how lovely you looked.
Rosamund Kwan: That’s sweet. Of course I’m happy that people are saying nice things about me, but it’s a bit of a pity that people always say I’m pretty in movies but they aren’t saying that I’m a good actress, except for a few films like Once Upon a Time in China – that got me a lot of compliments for my performance. Actually, there are times when I do wish people would think, oh I can act also! I always wanted people to appreciate my talent.
Did you enjoy working in the movie industry?
To be honest... no, not really. When I started, it was all the martial arts movies. I really appreciate Maggie [Cheung]. She had a really good time in that period. She did some wonderful movies. In the 1980s and early ’90s, there were few women’s movies. I felt that of the lot, Maggie got some of the best roles. I got all the commercial movies, the action and so on.
What do you consider beautiful?
I can’t tell from the face of people what’s beautiful. I only find beauty these days in art, in paintings, in sculptures. When it comes to people, I don’t think about beauty. I look at pictures when I look for beauty. I think what’s beautiful is also very abstract. From the scenery I see when I travel, to watching children playing in the street, and of course in galleries around the world.
Is your house filled with art?
Hopefully it will be. I’m just in the process of moving into a smaller house, so I don’t know. I don’t know why, maybe my ex-husband gave me some inspiration, but I really love colours these days.
Now that you don’t have a busy movie schedule, are you enjoying travelling?
Very much so. Recently I went to Paris and Venice. Earlier I went to India, and I saw the colours varying from street to street – that was really beautiful. I was in New Delhi and beautiful Bodh Gaya. The faces of the people were so serene and so beautiful.
In Hong Kong, you’d be recognised on any street. Did the anonymity in India help you just be?
It was nice that no one knew me or recognised me, so I did whatever I liked, went wherever. I wasn’t bothered. Here in Hong Kong I’m aware of being looked at. But I enjoy living here now. I was born here, brought up here, I went to Maryknoll School. This is definitely my home.
Haven’t your fans asked you to act again? Do they wonder why you stopped?
I don’t know what the perception of me is. When people come to me, they’re always saying, “I hope you’re happy and hope you’re living well and are healthy.” Some fans ask me to come back to movies, but I don’t miss it. I don’t feel it, not even a little bit. I don’t think I did any great work. There are so many newcomers in this business who are doing well, so I don’t think I’ll do any more.
I think you’re being modest. You did some wonderful films. Wasn’t there anything about the Hong Kong film industry that you enjoyed?
I did enjoy the process when I started. I was very young, aged 18. My father was in the business. He didn’t really encourage me, but I did it anyway.
When I was young, all my father’s friends and family were in the film industry, my auntie and uncle, and they were all perfect looking, in my eyes. Only the most handsome men worked at Shaw Brothers Studio and the prettiest girls in China were there. Maybe I was a bit dramatic when I was young, so I wanted to join the film business.
My point of view of the film industry was very different then. When I grew up, when I knew what the world was about, I found it a bit cruel. It’s a hard industry. But I think I was lucky. I did enjoy parts of it.
You acted with all the big stars of the time.
All my co-stars and colleagues really treated me well and with respect. I was always treated like a princess on set. I don’t know if it was because I was second generation, because my family was in the industry, or because they found me attractive. They weren’t gay! But my co-stars were always very nice to me. Andy [Lau] took good care of me. Jet Li, Jackie Chan, all were good and we’re still good friends.
It would be hard to ignore the fashion of that era. Has your fashion evolved drastically since your movie days?
I don’t think I wore too many of those terrible, over-the-top ’80s fashions. I don’t look back and cringe or laugh. There were definitely some weird things I wore, especially as a teen. When I was 18, I had a long, thick perm. I never wore wigs when I was working in movies; that’s all me. The wigs back then were terrible quality and itchy. I always styled my own hair. When I look back at photos, I think, it’s OK, it’s not too bad. Fashion always changes and evolves, but I changed and evolved, too.
Now it’s a lot simpler. I like to buy a lot of fashion. I think I have too many things now. As I’m moving homes, I can see how many things I have. I think I’ll have to rent storage to sort everything out, so I feel I need to stop buying things. I’m going to mix and match what I have and keep things simple and easy.
What advice do you have for women today?
I think women should have their own work, business and money. I know most women have their family and kids to take care of – unlike me. It’s just me and my dog! I know it isn’t easy to manage a household, but still I feel that women should be independent. There’s power and beauty in a self-sufficient woman. Women should take care of themselves – as well as their kids and husband, but not put themselves last.
Finally, when you see yourself in the morning, do you see how beautiful you are?
When I look at the mirror in the morning, I think, “My God, it’s a disaster!” [She laughs.] That’s why I said beauty’s not in the face, not from the exterior but from within.
Photoshoot, my dream team;
Photographer: Olivier Yoan
Stylist: Tasha Ling
對香港影迷來說,這絕對是一張再熟悉不過的面孔——優雅得毫不費力的關之嶺(關之琳)。出生於演藝世家的她,父親是邵氏影帝關山,母親是女演員張冰茜,美貌彷彿是她天生的特權。然而,正如全球觀眾很快就發現的那樣,關之琳絕非僅僅是電影世家的繼承人,她更是九十年代大銀幕港產片璀璨風華的代名詞。
1982年,她與周潤發合作主演《獵頭》(又名《再見江湖》)踏入影壇,精緻如瓷器的輪廓與靈動的大眼睛瞬間征服了無數導演。在亞洲電影業(尤其是香港電影王國)的黃金鼎盛時期,她成為了與各大巨星搭檔的不二女主角。
無論是在《龍兄虎弟》等高成本動作大片中與成龍幽默對戲,還是在時尚都市劇中與劉德華擦出浪漫火花,她的出現總能提升每一個鏡頭的質感。
當名導徐克邀請她出演《黃飛鴻》系列時,她的演藝事業達到了傳奇般的高度。她飾演的「十三姨」是一個性格活潑、接受過西式教育、遊走於傳統與現代之間的女性,與李連杰飾演的黃飛鴻同框對戲,展現了標誌性的精彩演出。為了凸顯其渾然天成的優雅,她在鏡頭前幾乎素顏上陣,將一個經典古裝角色塑造成永恆的文化符號。
在參演了60多部電影後,關之琳於2007年優雅淡出影壇,成功轉型投入商業創業、時裝設計及高端房地產投資。時至今日,她依然是香港名流圈中歷久彌新的焦點——這正是那個無法複製的香港電影黃金時代的活生生見證。
當我們團隊為《Lifestyle》拍攝封面、記錄下這位絕美的關小姐時,大家的心情可謂興奮不已。以下是我們的獨家專訪。
在這次採訪前,我跟一位影評人聊過,他說:「噢,關之琳在電影裡真的太美了。」這是深植在影迷心中揮之不去的印象:你在大銀幕上是多麼動人。
關之琳: 謝謝,這樣說真甜。大家能對我有好評價我當然開心,但也有點可惜,因為大家總是說我在電影裡很漂亮,卻很少誇我是個好演員——除了少數幾部像《黃飛鴻》,那部戲確實讓我收穫了不少對演技的讚賞。其實有時候我也真的很希望大家會想:「噢,原來她也是有演技的!」我一直都希望大家能欣賞我的才華。
你享受在電影界工作的時光嗎?
關之琳: 坦白說……其實不太享受。我剛入行的時候,全都是功夫打鬥片。我真的很欣賞張曼玉,她在那個時期過得很開心,拍了不少非常棒的電影。在80年代和90年代初,女性題材的電影很少。我覺得在同期的女演員裡,Maggie(張曼玉)拿到了不少最好的角色,而我拿到的多數是商業片、動作片等等。
在你眼中,什麼才是美?
關之琳: 我無法從人的容貌去判斷什麼是美。現在我只覺得美存在於藝術之中,比如畫作、雕塑。談到人,我不會去想美不美。我想尋找美的時候會去看畫。我覺得美也是一種很抽象的東西,從我旅遊時看到的風景,到街上看到小朋友嬉戲,當然還有世界各地的美術館裡。
你的大宅裡是不是擺滿了藝術品?
關之琳: 希望以後會是吧。我最近剛好在搬去一間小一點的房子,所以還不知道。不知怎的,可能是前夫給了我一些靈感,我最近真的很喜歡色彩。
現在不用忙於拍戲,你享受旅行嗎?
關之琳: 非常享受。最近去了巴黎和威尼斯,之前還去了印度,看到那裡街頭巷尾變化萬千的色彩,真的太美了。我去了新德里,還有美麗的菩提伽耶,那裡人們的面容是那麼安詳、那麼美麗。
在香港,你在任何一條街上都會被認出來。在印度這種無人認識的感覺,有沒有幫你放下包袱、做回自己?
關之琳: 沒有人認識我、認出我的感覺真好,我可以隨心所欲,想去哪就去哪,完全不受打擾。在香港的話,我會意識到有人在看我。不過我現在很享受住在香港,我在這裡出生、長大,讀的是瑪利諾修院學校,這裡絕對是我的家。
影迷們有沒有要求你復出拍戲?他們會好奇你當年為什麼停下來嗎?
關之琳: 我不知道大家是怎麼看我的。當影迷過來找我時,他們總是說:「希望你開開心心、過得好、身體健康。」有些影迷會叫我復出拍戲,但我真的不想念拍戲了,一點點想念都沒有。我不覺得自己做過什麼偉大的作品。現在行內有這麼多表現出色的新人,我想我不會再拍了。
我覺得你太謙虛了,你拍過很多很棒的電影。難道香港電影界就沒有任何讓你享受的地方嗎?
關之琳: 剛入行的時候,我確實很享受那個過程。那時我很年輕,才18歲。我爸爸也在這行,他其實沒有多鼓勵我,但我還是入了行。年輕時,我爸爸身邊的朋友和家人都在電影圈,我的叔叔阿姨們在我眼裡都長得非常完美。當時只有最英俊的男演員才能在邵氏影城工作,而全中國最漂亮的女孩子都在那裡。可能我年輕時有點戲劇化吧,所以很想加入電影界。那時我對電影圈的看法很不一樣。等我長大了、懂事了,才發現這個行業有點殘酷,是個很辛苦的行業。但我認為自己很幸運,其中的一部分我確實蠻享受的。
你曾與當時所有的巨星合作過。
關之琳: 所有合作過的搭檔和同事對我都非常好、很尊重。在片場我總是像個公主一樣被對待。我不知道是因為我是星二代、家人也在這行,還是因為他們覺得我有吸引力——他們可不是同性戀!但我的搭檔們對我都非常友好。華仔(劉德華)很照顧我,李連杰、成龍,大家人都很好,到現在我們依然是好朋友。
那個年代的時尚讓人難以忽視。從拍戲年代到現在,你的時尚風格有很大變化嗎?
關之琳: 我覺得自己沒穿過太多那種很誇張、很糟糕的80年代造型。現在回看我不會覺得尷尬或者想笑。以前確實穿過一些怪異的衣服,特別是十幾歲的時候。我18歲時留過很厚很長的爆炸捲髮。我拍戲時從不戴假髮,那全是我自己的真髮。那時的假髮質量很差又很癢,我總是自己做髮型。現在回看舊照片,我覺得還好,不算太差。時尚一直在變、在演變,而我自己也在改變和演變。現在簡約多了。我很喜歡買衣服,我覺得自己東西太多了。最近搬家時,我才發現自己原來有這麼多東西,我想我得租個倉庫來整理一下,所以覺得自己真要控制一下買東西了。以後我會把現有的服飾進行混搭,保持簡單大方。
對於當今的女性,你有什麼建議?
關之琳: 我覺得女性應該有自己的工作、事業和積蓄。我知道大多數女性都有家庭和小孩要照顧——我不一樣,就我和我的狗!我知道照顧一個家庭並不容易,但我依然覺得女性應該保持獨立。自立自強的女性身上有一種力量與美。女性應該照顧好自己——當然也要照顧好孩子和丈夫,但絕不能把自己放在最後一位。
最後,當你在清晨看到鏡子裡的自己,你會覺得自己很美嗎?
關之琳: 早上看鏡子時,我會想:「天啊,簡直是一場災難!」(笑)所以我才說美不在於外表,不在於外在,而是由內而發的。
更多精彩封面大片及專訪內容,請瀏覽 PrestigeOnline。
拍攝夢幻團隊: 攝影師:Olivier Yoan 造型師:Tasha Ling
.webp)
No comments:
Post a Comment