Tuesday 7 February 2012

Dance in her pants: Dancer Bethany Taylor stays fit



FIT AND FAB: Bethany Taylor

The rigmarole of a gym is not for everyone. The unpredictability of weather can be a hindrance for those who like to go for a run outside, and team sports are for a chosen few. But anyone can dance at any age and at any time, right? “I suppose,” says Bethany Taylor, an interior design student. “All you need is some great music and some space.”

She started dancing at age four, when her mother took her to baby ballet in Muscat, Oman, and trained at the Emma Tse Elite Dance Academy in Hong Kong for years. “I’ve tried pretty much every style of dance – ballet, hip hop, contemporary, tap, jazz, salsa, street,” says Taylor. “My favourites are ballet and street dance; one form is strictly disciplined and the other, freestyle. I love how much attitude and fun you can have with street, while ballet is so elegant. And which girl didn’t want to be a ballerina growing up?”

Although dance is a personal and individual experience for her, it’s helped Taylor in her modelling profession, too. “It gives you amazing control over your body, and you know what angles your body looks good at. It also helps with stamina. Shoots are always so long, and you’re usually standing up, so [training for dance] helps to keep you going for long periods of time.”

Three years ago, Taylor opted to go to college in London instead of taking the difficult route of professional dancing. Although she gave up the hard-core discipline of ballet, she’s found other forms of expression through a range of classes at Studiodanz in North Point.

“Classes are mostly taught in Cantonese, but it’s helped me learn faster as I’m not distracted by what’s said and I follow the movement. I’m forced to concentrate and pick up faster, which has been an excellent form of self-discipline. And dance is the finest form of motion and discipline.”

What drew you to dance?
Ballet is so beautiful and elegant. It’s really high art. I may not do it much any more, but I still appreciate it. Now I dance for fun, and it is the most fun way to exercise.

Is there any particular dance you’d like to try?
Zumba – it’s half exercise, half dance, and looks really fun. It’s a concoction of salsa and aerobics. I’ve been meaning to go, and this year I’ll do it.

What’s your diet like?
Processed food is a definite no, but the word “diet” really puts me off as I don’t believe in dieting. If you eat properly, watch your calories, but don’t deprive yourself, maintain portion control and eat a healthy amount. You don’t need to follow whatever diet is in fashion.

What’s been a memorable dance class?
At Pure Fitness in Central, choreographer Tony Stone [who has worked with stars like Salt-N-Pepa, Falco and LL Cool J] came to teach for a brief session, and it was a serious dance-off and workout. For three hours we were moving non-stop. It was a good class. He’s in his 50s but is in amazing shape.


What other ways do you stay fit?
Gym about four times a week, which keeps my cardio up. I have regular sessions with a personal trainer, and he’s really tough. The day after our sessions, I hate him – but it’s worth going to. I do my own body conditioning regime at home to keep toned, and go to street dance classes a few times a week at Pineapple Dance Studios [in London] more for fun. There’s no exercise that I hate. I have so much energy and love being active.

What’s the secret to looking really lean and toned?
Before a shoot, I cut my carbs and salty foods, and just have proteins and vegetables. And I drink a lot of green tea and water. If hungry during a lengthy shoot, I snack on cashews and bananas.

What’s your favourite health food?
It has to be quinoa; it’s so easy to prepare and so tasty. It fills you up but doesn’t make you bloated, and you can add whatever you like to it. My favourite combination at the moment is with celery, feta and ham. I’m also a massive fan of making fresh soups. It’s cheap and easy, and you get your daily dose of veggies.

P. Ramakrishnan
ramakrishnanp@hotmail.com
Portrait by Sabrina Sikora Photography
http://sspmodels.phanfare.com/
Feb 07, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment