Saturday 2 May 2020

You look, but you do not see...


And now for a chapter titled ... Had I known or paid attention...

This was a few years ago, 'the' Cate Blanchett was in town for IWC, promoting the brand as she was the ambassador for the luxury watch. I was at the media preview at Grand Hyatt Hong Kong, where they had converted the mezzanine floor to a lavish exhibition of over-sized photographs of iconic actors in black and white imagery.

A man was constantly by Ms Blanchett's side and I paid no attention to him as kept talking to her as I waved frantically like a howler monkey on crack to get her to look into the direction of my photographer.

We so desperately wanted a clear shot of the world's favourite actress (after Meryl obviously).

What I should have done was found a PR that night to get an audience with the gentle avuncular man who spoke at length that night. The one who has influenced so many portraits and art direction and layouts and style of the magazine I'd been working on for eight freakin' years.

The Peter Lindbergh.

Talk about missing the wood for the trees.


No comments:

Post a Comment